Weight Loss Ticker

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cooking Vernacular!?

So in keeping with my post from yesterday, this morning I decided to try the French Toast recipe and the Maple Syrup recipe from my SlimGenics cookbook.

The french toast was simple; it's really not that different from your standard recipe, as bread, milk and eggs are all on plan anyway. I could have used basically any recipe, if you ask me.

But the maple syrup is something that I will need their recipe for, as there is no syrup on the market that is on plan, to my knowledge.

Here's where I get frustrated. I don't know if their recipes are just different, or if I just don't know the native cooking language. I've made plenty of recipes from a simple "Better Homes and Garden" cookbook before and they've all turned out very good. But I do know those cookbooks are probably more geared for the beginner, so maybe things are spelled out more clearly (and thoroughly) than in other cookbooks. I don't know.

So help me out here. The syrup recipe: melt butter, add stuff, blah, blah. Then:

"Reduce mixture down into a syrup."

What the heck does that mean? My best guess is that I keep it over heat until it reaches the desired consistency by way of evaporation, etc., but I have NO CLUE what it means to "reduce mixture down".

Am I the world's biggest cooking dummy? :-(

No comments: